Brown Sugar Cookies
Soft and chewy with a delicate caramel flavor, these brown sugar cookies are the perfect canvas for decorating or delicious on their own!
I didn’t own a single cookie cutter the first time I made these cookies.
That’s right. Zero, zilch, nada, nothing. Not a one.
These sugar cookies inspired me to buy or borrow new cookie cutters. I bought a dragon (because I love dragons) and the state of Oregon. My mom was also kind enough to let me take a handful of her cookie cutters. Her collection is something to marvel at; she has two glass jars full of cookie cutters in her cupboards. Some she bought and others were handed down by her mother. I now have some of my grandma’s cookie cutters, which work was as perfectly today as they did nearly 70 years ago.
So what did I use to shape these cookies?
Well, necessity is the mother of invention. I opened up our cabinets and saw a wealth of options staring back at me in the form of drinking glasses. I chose a round-rimmed glass and created perfectly round cookies. Never underestimate the power of a simple circle.
After I started my own cookie cutter collection, I’ve made this recipe into decorated trees, hearts and diamonds. These cookies hold up well to icing and decorations, but still maintain their tender and chewy interior.
SHOULD I USE DARK BROWN OR LIGHT BROWN SUGAR?
I’ve only used dark brown or white sugar, but I think light brown sugar will work also.
CAN I CHILL THE DOUGH OVERNIGHT?
Absolutely! It only intensifies the flavors, resulting in an even better-tasting cookie. Just make sure you let the dough sit out at room temperature for a few minutes before you roll it out.
Even with a humble 5 tablespoons of butter, these cookies have a rich, buttery flavor. While sugar cookies are synonymous with Christmas, I would (and do) make these cookies year-round. Whether it’s Valentine’s Day, Easter, Mother’s Day, or a Tuesday, these brown sugar cookies are the perfect treat!
Want more? Subscribe to Cookies & Cardio for new recipes! Stay in touch on Instagram for my latest recipes and extra photos and baking projects. If you make this recipe, share a photo and tag @cookies__and__cardio or use the hashtag #cookiesandcardio.
Brown Sugar Cookies
Yields 20-24 cookies
5 tablespoons softened butter
¾ cup brown sugar (or white sugar)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ⅔ cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1. Cream together the butter and sugar. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
2. Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Gradually stir the flour mixture into the butter, sugar, egg and vanilla until the dough comes together.
4. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for two hours.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
6. Roll out dough on a floured surface to ¼ inch or ⅛ inch thick. Cut out shapes with a cookie cutter.
7. Put cookies 1 inch apart on parchment-lined baking sheets.
8. Bake for 9-10 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Mine took between 8:45-9 minutes.
9. Cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.